Wednesday, 17 August 2016

How To: Get Over a Bad Day

Hello! ♡
Bad days happen to absolutely everyone- they're pretty much unavoidable and even the smallest things can trigger them, and they also tend to make us feel unmotivated. However... as I've found, sitting and doing nothing can only make things worse, so I decided to create a list of things that make me feel better when I'm having a bad or stressful day. I reviewed this list yesterday, and decided to share with you the things that worked best for me, in the hopes that if you're having a bad day, trying them out will make you feel better!

(On a side note- you can now follow Lilac's Journal in the sidebar! If you like reading this blog, then I'll highly appreciate if you follow it! ^^)
  1. Go on a walk. Really, it can be very tempting to sit and do nothing on a bad day. However... getting some fresh air, even if it's just a 10-minute walk, can make a difference! Going somewhere helps me to clear my mind and makes me feel refreshed. Going on a walk by yourself is a good way to have some time alone to think while getting fresh air, and also a great opportunity to appreciate your surroundings! 
  2. Go somewhere. If you don't feel like going on a walk, perhaps take a friend with you and go somewhere together (though you can also go alone!). You can visit a park you've never visited before, or perhaps visit one of your favourite places. Go to the mall and splurge a bit on yourself- go wherever you want to go! I really like to go somewhere when I'm feeling down because it's a lot of fun, and is a great opportunity to take my mind off things. My favourite places to go are pretty parks, the mall and coffee shops. I also like to visit different places in my city, such as the market square. 
    A good cappuccino can make a big difference!
  3. Talk to someone. Talk to someone you trust! If you want, you can vent to them about whatever's bothering you- they might be able to give you advice and cheer you up! Or, just have a random conversation with a friend to take your mind off things. I find that talking with a friend always makes me feel better.
  4. Write. Writing is one of the first things I do when I feel down or have a problem. This is because writing can be used to both tackle the problem and take your mind off things. If you want to take your mind off things, just use your imagination and write whatever you want- a story, dreams for the future, whatever! It's a great way to get lost in another world and works well to improve my mood. However, writing about whatever's bothering you is also a great way to put it into perspective and makes it much easier to find a solution, and it's a good way to get it off your chest.
    Writing is even better with a cute pen ^^
  5. Do what you love. Whatever it is that brings you joy,  do it! If you like makeup,  try out a new look. If you like drawing, well... draw something!  If you like fashion, make some outfits on Polyvore or go to the mall and try out some clothes. Doing what you love is a great way to remind yourself of the best things in life!
  6. Exercise. There is science behind this one- exercise releases endorphins, a hormone that improves your mood.  I'm not really a sporty person, but my favourite forms of exercise include cycling, rollerskating, ice-skating, badminton and swimming. Even just some light exercise can make you feel much better! Exercise is also a lot of fun and very healthy, so perhaps go on a short bike ride or do some light aerobic exercises- whatever you're in the mood for ^^
  7. Relax. Treat yourself to a hot bath, which is also a good opportunity for thinking things through and just relaxing. Then make yourself a hot drink, make yourself comfortable and do whatever you find relaxing! I like to watch YouTube videos that interest me, read, write and surf the Internet. By the way, chamomile, lavender and lemon balm teas are great for relaxation!
  8. Tackle the problem. Sometimes it's best to just find a way to tackle whatever's bothering you! Write it out on paper and look for ways to solve it. Approach it calmly and logically! If it's a stressful situation, try to reassure yourself and think of ways to prepare. Sometimes I get paranoid about something I'm stressed about, but when I approach it logically it turns out many of my fears were anything but logical. Whatever is bothering you, look for the best way to solve it!
  9. Work on a goal. Working on a goal will give you a sense of accomplishment and is also a great way to take your mind off things! For instance, if your goal is to learn French, sit down and learn some new vocabulary. Even if it's small, doing something to reach your goal is a great way to feel better and in control.
    Even if it's just reviewing notes, every little step towards a goal counts!
  10. Eat chocolate! This also has science behind it! However, I'd recommend chocolate with 50% cocoa content at the least. The cocoa has several chemicals that are responsible for making us feel good by causing the release of certain neurotransmitters that make us feel happy! One of those chemicals is tryptophan, which causes the release of serotonin, in turn causing a feeling of happiness! Eating chocolate also causes the release of endorphins. So... indulge in a bit of dark chocolate! I'd recommend between 50-75% cocoa content, as anything above that can be too bitter. Though it really depends on your preferences!
When I'm feeling down, I usually look at the list I made and do at least one thing from it, and it always makes me feel better! Remember that bad days happen to the best of us and that it's okay to treat yourself every now and then. I'd also recommend making your own list of things that make you feel better when you're down. Different things work for different people, but I hope that this post is helpful in dealing with a bad day! A few other things I like to do when I'm feeling down include looking through some inspirational quotes, listening to music, making and eating my favourite foods, such as dango. Again, I hope this post was helpful to you!
 Have a lovely day!
~LilacBlossom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! ♡
Currently, commenting is open to everyone, with no sign-in or word verification required. However, to ensure the comment section is a safe and pleasant place for everyone, those settings might be changed in the future if there is a problem with rule-breaking.
Please follow these rules!
~Please be kind and polite! Show respect to those around you, please. If you disagree with something, please express your opinion in a polite manner.
~No discrimination or bullying, please.
~ No spam, this clutters up the comment section!
~No inappropriate/dangerous links.
~Do not ask anyone for personal information, such as phone numbers.
~Use common sense, and have fun! <3